Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Walk Along Cloud 9- Japanese Hot Springs


Have you ever taken a walk along Cloud 9? Well, two weeks ago I did when I made my first visit to the Japanese hot springs.


Picture yourself stress free and completely relaxed... surrounded by pure serenity and natures most precious scenery. Now, imagine your body submerged in natural, healing, hot water... clean and clear. And one more thing... you are completely butt naked.


I swear I have never felt so at ease in my life. The hot springs made me feel like a pampered goddess. Once I got there, all of my inhibitions were left behind. I felt so comfortable with myself, my body, and the experience that I was about to have. As I peeled away my clothes, I felt like I was taking away layers of stress and preoccupation. I didn't care about anything... all I could do is feel the tension melting away from my muscles.


There is a process that must be followed at the hot springs in order to ensure the natural beauty and effects are preserved. Cleanliness is first, and you are required to shower before entering the hot springs and you are prohibited from taking bathing suits and other items of clothing in with you.


During our visit, the women all went to the outdoor hot springs first. I had no idea of the amazing scenery that I was about to witness. The outdoor japanese hot springs are set in the middle of the forest, and there are lights that illuminate the natural setting. It was a cool evening so you could see the steam rising from your body and the springs. Each area has a different temperature and you can switch springs at your leisure. If you lean against the natural stone you can see fish swimming in the clear river that runs below the edge of the rocks. If you are lucky, you may even spot a deer lapping water nearby. My friend told me about a visit where she saw a monkey in the trees above. (I am not sure if that was so relaxing)


After spending a half hour in the outdoor hot springs, the women were informed that it was almost time for the men's slot to begin. So, we headed indoors to go to the other hot springs.

Just as I thought it couldn't get any better, Part 2 began. This time the area was not as large, but the water was just as relaxing. They had areas where you could just lay back and watch the stars as you soaked and immersed your skin in the minerals. I layed back and thought about the women that had been doing this for hundreds of years...I thought about how I would never go again without the onsens.


After we exited the second set of japanese springs we went inside to the womens room to sit and shower, shampoo, cleanse, and pamper ourselves. Then, just when you think it is over... you go into another set of indoor hot springs for one last good soak. Upon exiting, you don't rinse the minerals... as they are good for your body and well being. You towel down, dress, and leave as radiant and rejuvinated as you could possibly be.


Above you will see a photo of the whole group before entering the hot springs that evening!


Ah... such pleasure and serenity. I will never go without the hot springs again!



A song comes to mind as I reflect on this experience... (smile)


"At first I was afraid, I was petrified,

Thinking everyone would be looking at my backside.

I spent all those lonely nights

Thinking how I'd do it wrong

Then, I grew strong

I let go and went along..."


("I Will Survive Remix by Mai Campbell")

No comments: