Monday, October 02, 2006

I'm Getting Naked Under My Clothes - Sept 25, 2006


"This is Japanese Custom," has become the most popular phrase in my daily interactions lately.

I went shopping with Midori and Iku today. I had such a wonderful time. They showed me all the great places to get deals in Sendai.

During lunch I asked them where I could go to get a relaxing massage and maybe sit in a sauna or something like that. They told me about the Japanese hot springs. After hearing all the wonderful things about these natural hot springs it was set.

I was all for going. But, before we could set a date Midori said, "But there is one thing, you cannot wear clothes here in the hot springs."

I was like, "You mean you have to be butt naked???"

"Yes," she replies with a serious nodd.

I looked to Iku, who nodded as well.

"You mean butt naked, but is it co-ed?"

"Yes." Midori replied, looking somewhat amused at me.

So, I sat and thought about it. "But don't people look at you?"

"NO!," She exclaimed looking shocked. "Well, maybe just a little... but no."

"This is Japanese cutsom, Mai" they told me. It seems like I am hearing that a lot lately.

Now, I don't know about the rest of you... but if I am in a place where everyone is butt naked, I am going to look.


So... the questions sit in my mind:

a. Do I go to the hot springs and get butt naked and relax and enjoy the nature of things?

b. And if I go, do I take an occasional glance for goodness sakes?

c. Can I have a shot of sake first to get my nerve up???

d. Will they take special notice to me because I am a black woman when I am naked?

I am thoroughly amused by these questions as I seriously debate entering the world of nudity.


Ah, to culturally assimilate...

This is the life! :)
Mai

No comments: