Thursday, October 05, 2006

French Toast and Bacon

Here in Japan, Michael is always... always hungry. I gotta admit, the portions ARE pretty small here. But hey, I have to work with what I have. Even the grocery shopping carts are petite here. So, you can really only buy a small amount of food at a time. It wouldn't make sense to buy a bunch of food, because the refrigerator is small.

Somehow due to the portion size I end up cooking 3 meals a day. You see, because the sizes are smaller, there aren't really any leftovers once Mike gets done eating.

For breakfast this morning I cooked french toast, bacon, and eggs. Isaiah ate a banana, cereal and a piece of bacon as well.

Last night I cooked my homemade version of sweet and sour chicken which turned out to be really tasty...

Mike told me 3 times how much he liked dinner last night... so I think that recipe is a keeper.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Ha ha ha, you are so funny! Yes, what's up with our teeny tiny shopping carts anyway? And the whole don't forget to put your basket inside your cart thing. Ha ha ha. Took me some time getting used to.

Your french toast looks so yummy by the way!: )

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mai! I just found your website a few days ago, and I think it is so wonderful that you keep blog. Living in Japan is something that I've always wanted to do, but I've never had enough guts to go through with it because I've always assumed that such a homogenous culture could never accomodate a black female such as myself. Now that I've started reading your blog, I feel reassured. If you can do it, I'm sure I can too.

I have only one question though: (Assuming that you use a relaxer)How would you go about having your hair relaxed there? Are there salons that know how to handle black hair?

Michael Lawrence Chappell said...

Hey Bunny!

You can do it! I've personally have had wonderful experiences here in Japan as a black woman... now, South Korea... that was a whole nother story.

In terms of beauty salons, I am on the lucky side. I learned how to do my own hair (perms, styling, the works) while I was in college... so I always am able to still look like I am getting my hair done while we are abroad. Plus, half the time when you go to the salon people don't style your hair like you want it. I usually bring a 4-pack of Vitale perm from the beauty supply store and that will last me several months. If I run out, I just ask someone who is coming over to bring more.

I am very afraid to get my hair done in the salons here. In Lebanon and Portugal I could go to the salons... they have thicker hair and know how to blow dry so good it looks like your hair has been pressed :)

I had one horrible beauty salon experience in New Zealand... enough said.

Mai