Thursday, October 05, 2006

Views From A Japanese Window

Last night... sometime around midnight, I heard the clickity clacking of what sounded like heels on the pavement on the street below.

I wonder who that was running, and where was "she" running to so late at night. I sat and gave scenerios of who it could be and what they were doing out so late. He thought it was funny.

In the morning, when I look outside our patio window, all I see is rooftops. Some rooftops are like those you would picture when you imagine a home in Japan... with all of the tiles, curves, and architectural detail. Other apartment rooftops are very flat and you see a couple peaks here and there. On this particular morning it is very cloudy and you can feel the moisture in the air. Daylight enters our apartment around 5am each morning. At times it makes you feel like you have a tinge of insomnia. Your mind is telling you it's morning since it's light outside, but your body is screaming "COME ON YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!". Although Mike has a watch, a clock, and a cellphone with a display he insists upon asking me every morning around 5am, "What time is it Mai?"

As I posted on my blog, Isaiah caught a cold at school. I should have known this was coming when I picked him up two days ago and a runny nose kid greeted me at the door. I gave Isaiah that instant look like, "I sure hope you weren't playing with HIM." And of course... sure enough he must have been. I wish you could see my interaction with his teachers and headmaster (Teachers are called "Sen-se" here--- Mi-ho-san is one of Isaiah's teachers, Michi-ko-san is the headmaster). It's gotta be hilarious from the outside looking in... me with my limited vocabulary and keen sense of Pictionary--- them with their limited English and wonderful expressions. They laugh at my Japanish and encourage me by saying "Very Good Communication". I actually would have attended my Japanese class yesterday, but I was home taking care of Isaiah, thanks to the runny nose kid. Miho and Michiko say that Isaiah plays really well and communicates with the other children with his expressions and is laughing all day. That makes me smile, because I love to see him happy.

Well, I have to call a client in Chicago now...I have to add some "sizzle" to the copy on her nutritional website.

All is well in Japan.

Matane,
Mai

No comments: