Friday, December 08, 2006

Black Hair Care in Japan




I've recently receive a lot of emails from other black women asking me about my experience in Japan. They especially want to know how I manage my hair here. Here are some of the things I've said:

I've personally have had wonderful experiences here in Japan as a black woman... now, South Korea... that was a whole nother story.

In terms of hair care, I am on the lucky side. I learned how to do my own hair (perms, styling, the works) while I was in college... so I always am able to still look like I am getting my hair done while we are abroad. Plus, half the time when you go to the beauty shop people don't style your hair like you want it. I usually bring a 4-pack of Vitale perm and large bottles of Creme of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo from the beauty supply store and that will last me several months. If I run out, I just ask someone who is coming over to bring more.



My flat-irons (Helen of Troy) are absolutely wonderful. Luckily the electrical ports are the same as the U.S. here... in Portugal I ended up frying my flat irons in an outlet!

I am very afraid to get my hair done in the salons here. In Lebanon and Portugal I could go to the salons... they have thicker hair and know how to blow dry so good it looks like your hair has been pressed :)

I had one horrible beauty salon experience in New Zealand... enough said. I don't even want to revisit what happened.

Maybe I will try to go get a wet set soon... I will keep you all posted on how that turns out. Hopefully I won't come home with a jeri-curl instead!! If someone reading this knows where a good salon for Black women in Japan is located, please shoot me an email or a post.

I'm still not mentally ready to write about my trip to South Korea. All I can say is boy is it good to be back in Japan!!

Mai

No comments: